Wednesday 7 January 2015

First Impressions: Sweet Potato Brownies

I hope you have all had a merry Christmas and a great New Year! To be perfectly honest I don't feel like I have any amazing plans in 2015 that I'd say I'm counting down to; but I guess that makes the year ahead even more exciting as I really don't know what to expect!


I also think I should apologise about my  previous two posts, as I came to write this I realized I don't think they actually published! Woops ... As other bloggers will know, the days leading up to Christmas I sought of just pressed publish and carried on stuffing my face. Again, I apologize.

But to get back into the blogging swing of things is something I'm really excited about - Sweet Potato Brownies! But not just that, a sort of review of Deliciously Ella's Sweet Potato Brownie recipe. I thought this would be a good idea as its all very well sharing a recipe, but if I don't think it's as good as it could be I don't want to simply share it on without putting my word to what I thought of the recipe.

Original Recipe:

Makes 10 brownies
  • 2 medium to large sweet potatoes (600g)
  • 2/3 of a cup of ground almonds (80g)
  • 1/2 a cup of buckwheat or brown rice flour (100g)
  • 14 medjool dates
  • 4 tablespoons of raw cacao
  • 3 tablespoons of pure maple syrup
  • a pinch of salt


Improvements:

- I used oat flour (oats ground in a food processor) as I didn't have any buckwheat/brown rice and you could definitely taste it. I mean, it didn't ruin it, and as a I haven't used any of the recommended flour I cant comment on what they taste like, but next time I'd just use plain/all purpose flour or buy the buckwheat/brown rice.

- 5 tbsp of cacao, for me it just needed that bit more chocolaty kick

- 4tbps maple syrup, I know they're not meant to be as sweet as the typical brownie, as they are of course using all natural good for you ingredients, but especially as the first plant based recipe (and if sharing with family) I'd say a bit more wouldn't go a miss.

- another slight substitution I made was using 335g dried dates soaked in boiling water (+6tbsp of that water), simply because they were cheaper and I had them to hand. So if you do use medjool dates, you probably wouldn't have to include that extra tablespoon of syrup as they are sweeter.



Let me know if you've tried this recipe before and what you thought!

Love Vic x




No comments:

Post a Comment